Latest posts by R.J. Weiss, CFP® (see all)
- How To Survive The Next Recession - June 26, 2017
- 17 Passive Income Ideas for 2017 With Little Or No Upfront Investment - June 22, 2017
- 5 Important Money Lessons You Never Want To Learn The Hard Way - June 20, 2017
“Read as much as you can about the markets, economy, and financial history.Never stop reading.” – Seth Klarman
Seth Klarman is one of the most successful investors of our day. Founder of Baupost Group, his hedge fund manages over $27 billion
A used copy of his out of print book Margin of Safety sells for about $1,000. He also updated, along with many other fames investors, the Benjamin Graham’s Security Analysis. A used copy sells for a more affordable $44.
Over the years he’s presented at a few conferences. One such conference was the 2010 CFA Institute Annual Conference. It was this conference where he revealed the top Seth Klarman book recommendations when asked by columnist Jason Zweig.
A transcript of the Q&A is below, with the entire transcript on Scribd.
Jason Zweig: Any books recommendations (besides Margin of Safety and Security Analysis, of course)?
Seth Klarman: Read as much as you can about the markets, economy, and financial history. Never stop reading. Specific book recommendations include The Intelligent Investor, Greenblatt’s You Can Be A Stock Market Genius, Whitman’s Aggressive Conservative Investor, anything from Jim Grant…he’s a great thinker, even if his predictions may not turn our right, Roger Lowenstein has not written a bad book, anything from him. Also, Michael Lewis, who also hasn’t written a bad book either, but specifically MoneyBall which will go down as a definitive book on investing. Also, Too Big to Fail is good.
Seth Klarman Book Recommendations
Here’s a list of the books of the specific books he recommends.
- The Intelligent Investor
- You Can Be A Stock Market Genius
- Aggressive Conservative Investor
- Too Big to Fail
Seth Klarman Author Recommendations
Seth Klarman recommends three authors; Jim Grant, Roger Lowenstein, and Michael Lewis.
I’ve then added popular investment books by those authors, some of which were published after 2010.
Seth Klarman Book Recommendations | Jim Grant Books
- The Forgotten Depression: 1921: The Crash That Cured Itself
- Mr. Market Miscalculates: The Bubble Years and Beyond
- Money of the Mind: How the 1980s Got That Way
Seth Klarman Book Recommendations | Roger Lowenstein Books
- Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist
- America’s Bank: The Epic Struggle to Create the Federal Reserve
- When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
- While America Aged: How Pension Debts Ruined General Motors, Stopped the NYC Subways, Bankrupted San Diego, and Loom as the Next Financial Crisis
- Origins of the Crash: The Great Bubble and Its Undoing
- The End of Wall Street