Bill Ackman is one of the most well-known activist investors of our day. His hedge fund, Pershing Capital, has gains of 17.1% per year since 2004 through through 2015.
He’s taken a hit lately with his position on Herbalife. His fight with Herbalife is well publicized and an interesting case study for activist investors.
Two articles chronicling the entire battle are below:
While controversial, he has sustained success overtime. Most hedge funds are unable to beat the market over an entire decade span, something Bill Ackman has accomplished.
Interested in a free app that allows you to track your entire portfolio? I highly recommend Personal Capital (available for both iPhone and Android). With Personal Capital you can compare your portfolio to market benchmarks and instantly see your asset allocation across all your investment accounts. Sign up for free.
Bill Ackman Reading List: 12 Book Recommendations
What’s on the Bill Ackman reading list?
There’s a unique story behind the list of books.
Bill Ackman first gave this reading list to his new analysis Oliver White. Oliver and Bill first met on a fishing trip where Oliver was the guide. Ackman was so impressed with him, he offered him a position, with the stipulation he read the following books before beginning.
Here are the books on Bill Ackman’s reading list.
- Beating the Street by Peter Lynch
- Confidence Game: How Hedge Fund Manager Bill Ackman Called Wall Street’s Bluff by Christine Richard
- The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America by Lawrence A. Cunningham and Warren Buffett
- Fooling Some of the People All of the Time, A Long Short (and Now Complete) Story, Updated with New Epilogue by David Einhorn and Joel Greenblatt
- The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
- Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor by Seth Klarman
- One Up on Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market by Peter Lynch and John Rothchild
- Quality of Earnings by Thornton O’Glove
- Security Analysis by Benjamin Graham
- The Warren Buffett Way by Robert G. Hagstrom
- You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits by Joel Greenblatt