What’s on the essential Warren Buffett reading list?
Buffett isn’t shy about his reading habits.
As he’s said,
“I insist on a lot of time being spent, almost every day, to just sit and think. That is very uncommon in American business. I read and think. So I do more reading and thinking, and make less impulse decisions than most people in business. I do it because I like this kind of life.”
For those wanting to learn more about how Buffett thinks, Buffett gives plenty of book recommendations.
At his annual meeting each year, he provides his list of recommended books. A local Omaha bookseller then has the books for sale at the event. They also publish the list on their website.
So what’s on Warren Buffett’s reading list?
Let’s find out, starting with his favorite investment books. Next, learn his favorite business books. Followed by the books he recommends about his long-time partner Charlie Munger.
Interested in a free app that allows you to track your entire portfolio? I highly recommend Personal Capital (available for both iPhone and Android). With Personal Capital you can compare your portfolio to market benchmarks and instantly see your asset allocation across all your investment accounts. Sign up for free.
Warren Buffett Reading List | Investing
- Business Adventures: Twelve Classic Tales from the World of Wall Street by John Brooks
- The Great Crash: 1929 by John Kenneth Galbraith
- The Intelligent Investor: The Classic Text on Value Investing by Benjamin Graham
- The Intelligent Investor (Revised Edition) by Benjamin Graham, revised by Jason Zweig
- Investing Between the Lines: How to Make Smarter Decisions by Decoding CEO Communications by Laura Rittenhouse
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock by John Bogle
- The Outsiders: Eight Unconventional CEOs and Their Radically Rational Blueprint for Success by William Thorndike
- Strategic Value Investing: Practical Techniques of Leading Value Investors by Stephen Horan, Robert Johnson and Thomas Robinson
- The Ten Commandments for Business Failure by Donald R. Keough
- Where Are the Customers’ Yachts? Or a Good Hard Look at Wall Street by Fred Schwed, Jr.
Warren Buffett Reading List
- Berkshire Beyond Buffett: The Enduring Value of Values by Lawrence Cunningham
- Berkshire Hathaway Letters to Shareholders: 1965-2014, collected by Max Olson
- Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist, Second Edition by Roger Lowenstein
- Buffett’s Bites: The Essential Investor’s Guide to Warren Buffett’s Shareholder Letters by Laura Rittenhouse
- The Essays of Warren Buffett, Lessons for Corporate America, 4th Edition
- A Few Lessons for Investors and Managers from Warren E. Buffett by Peter Bevelin
- My Warren Buffett Bible: A Short and Simple Guide to Rational Investing: 284 Quotes from the World’s Most Successful Investor by Robert Bloch
- Of Permanent Value: The Story of Warren Buffett- 50 Years and Beyond Edition of 2016 by Andrew Kilpatrick
- The Oracle & Omaha: How Warren Buffett and His Hometown Shaped Each Other by Steve Jordan
- Tap Dancing to Work: Warren Buffett on Practically Everything, Carol Loomis
- Warren Buffett: An Illustrated Biography of the World’s Most Successful Investor by Ayano Morio
- Warren Buffett on Business: Principles from the Sage of Omaha by Richard Connors
- Warren Buffett’s Ground Rules: Words of Wisdom from the Partnership Letters of the World’s Greatest Investor by Jeremy C. Miller
- Warren Buffett Speaks: Wit and Wisdom from the World’s Greatest Investor, Second Edition, by Janet Lowe, with Warren Buffett
- The Warren Buffett Way, Third Edition by Robert G. Hagstrom
Warren Buffett Reading List | Business Books
- All I Want to Know is Where I’m Going to Die so I’ll Never go There: Buffett and Munger: A Study in Simplicity and Uncommon, Common Sense by Peter Bevelin
- Dream Big by Cris Correa
- Forty Chances: Finding Hope in a Hungry World by Howard G. Buffett
- Getting There: A Book of Mentors by Gillian Zoe Segal
- Giving It All Away: The Doris Buffett Story by Michael Zitz
- Habit of Labor – Lessons from a Life of Struggle and Success by Stef Wertheimer
- Life Is What You Make It: Find Your Own Path to Fulfillment by Peter Buffett
- Limping on Water: My 40-year Adventure with One of America’s Outstanding Communications Companies by Phil Beuth
- The Oracle’s Fables: Life Lessons for Children Inspired by the Oracle of Omaha by John Prescott (Not available on Amazon)
- Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin to Munger by Peter Bevelin
- The Women of Berkshire Hathaway: Lessons from Warren Buffett’s Female CEOs and Directors by Karen Linder
Warren Buffett Reading List | Books About Charlie Munger
- Charlie Munger: The Complete Investor by Tren Griffin
- Damn Right!: Behind the Scenes with Berkshire Hathaway Billionaire Charlie Munger by Janet Lowe, forward by Warren Buffett
- Poor Charlie’s Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger, Third Edition, edited by Peter Kaufman