“You’d be amazed at how much Warren reads – at how much I read. My children laugh at me. They think I’m a book with a couple of legs sticking out.” – Charlie Munger
Charlie Munger is best known as the Vice Chairman at Berkshire Hathaway.
Unlike his partner Warren Buffett, he wasn’t mentored by a Benjamin Graham type at a young age.
Munger developed his skill level as an investor on his own.
As Munger has said,
“I met the towering intellectuals in books, not in the classroom, which is natural. I can’t remember when I first read Ben Franklin. I had Thomas Jefferson over my bed at seven or eight. My family was into all that stuff, getting ahead through discipline, knowledge, and self-control.”
I’ve long been a fan of Munger’s since first reading Charlie Munger’s Almanac. Over the years, I’ve put together a Charlie Munger reading list.
If you’re looking for a reading list to dig through, Charlie Munger’s ranks at the top.
Charlie Munger Reading List from Poor Charlie’s Almanac
In the appendix of Poor Charlie’s Almanac, there’s a list of 20 books that Munger recommends.
His reading list covers a broad range of topics.
Charlie believes it’s his wide range of knowledge, that gives him an edge.
As Munger has said about him and Buffett
“We read a lot. I don’t know anyone who’s wise who doesn’t read a lot. But that’s not enough: You have to have a temperament to grab ideas and do sensible things. Most people don’t grab the right ideas or don’t know what to do with them.”
Here are the 20 books listed in the appendix.
- Deep Simplicity: Bringing Order to Chaos and Complexity
- Fiasco: The Inside Story of a Wall Street Trader
- Ice Age
- How the Scots Invented the Modern World
- Models of my Life
- A Matter of Degrees
- Andrew Carnegie
- Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
- The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
- The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
- Living Within Limits: Ecology, Economics, and Population Taboos
- The Selfish Gene
- Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr.
- The Wealth and Poverty of Nations: Why Some Are So Rich and Some So Poor
- The Warren Buffet Portfolio: Mastering the Power of the Focus Investment Strategy
- Genome: The Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters
- Getting to Yes: Negotiation Agreement Without Giving In
- Three Scientists and Their Gods: Looking for Meaning in an Age of Information
- Only the Paranoid Survive
Books about Charlie Munger Worth Reading
Each year at the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting, a reading list is compiled of Warren and Charlie’s favorite books.
The books are sold at the conference by the local bookseller The Bookwarm.
The 2016 reading list mentions three recommended books about Charlie Munger.
These books are
- Charlie Munger: The Complete Investor
- Damn Right!: Behind the Scenes with Berkshire Hathaway Billionaire Charlie Munger
- Poor Charlie’s Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger, Third Edition
Of course, a true Charlie Munger reading list can’t be complete without the book: Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin to Munger. The book, which is also on the Berkshire Hathaway reading list, is a must-read for Munger enthusiasts.