It’s been awhile since I last posted a blog income report. It was September of 2017 to be exact.
At that time, net income from the blog was $2,389.90. The Ways To Wealth received about 58,000 page views. I was still working full-time, plus running this blog.
Fast forward four months to the end of January 2018. Net income exceeded $10,000 for the month. Pageviews exceeded 300,000. I’m now self-employed.
Instead of posting an income report each month, my thought was to post an income report when I felt there was something worth sharing.
…things changed quite a bit.
Timeline of The Ways To Wealth
Before I started this blog, I read through entire archives on many blogs income reports. Reading each and every income report from the likes of Michelle Schroeder-Gardner, Rosemarie Groner, Pat Flynn is an incredible education in blogging. It’s also incredibly motivating to see someone go from $0 to a seven figure business in a few years.
It also gave me an accurate timeline of what to expect when launching my own blog. Probably the most important lesson — was to think long-term.
To see that a blog isn’t an overnight success, to realize that very successful bloggers struggle early on was important for me.
On a personal level, exceeding $10K a month was a milestone for myself. It’s a goal I’ve been going after for quite some time.
I feel like to get the most out of income reports, it’s important to know the backstory. You don’t go from $0 to $10K overnight. That being said, since I haven’t posted an income report in a while, here’s my attempt fill in the gaps.
- Sometime in August of 2016 – I’m inspired to start a niche site, after reading Pat Flynn’s Niche Site Duel. I register the name financeblueprints.com, with the goal of building a site around different “blueprints to financial freedom”.
- A Few Days Later – I tell my wife about my new site. She thinks the domain name and the concept sucks. She’s right.
- August 25th, 2016 – I decide on the domain name The Ways To Wealth, which I borrow from the classic Ben Franklin book: The Way To Wealth. I launch my site in a few minutes using Bluehost’s one click install.
- November 2016 – I haven’t worked on the blog much. Up until November 1st, 61 people visited The Ways To Wealth. I posted about a dozen or so times on reading lists of different investors. My goal was to rank highly for a lot of these keywords and earn income from the Amazon affiliate program.
- November 12th, 2016 – I took all the reading lists I compiled from famous investors and ranked the most influential investing books of all time. I send an email to about 100 blogs that might find the content interesting. I 12X my traffic in one month and now have 875 total visitors!
- December of 2016 – Between my full-time job and freelancing, I barely work on the blog. On December 23rd, Bluehost takes this site down, as it was “hacked.” I contemplate not bothering with the site at all. Freelancing is going very well for me. A few days after Christmas, I pay a freelancer on Fiverr though to restore the site.
- January 2017 – I put 10+ hours into a project for a freelance client. They decide to not pay me. Losing sleep over the situation, I decide to stop taking on clients. My work projects for the year would be this blog and the my full-time job.
- Mid January 2017 – I buy Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing where Michelle Schroeder-Gardner of Making Sense of Cents reveals “How to build a six figure blog through affiliate marketing without millions of visitors or selling your soul.” The lightbulb goes off (If you’re blogging and haven’t yet invested in this course, I highly recommend it).
- February 2017 – There’s a bonus in the above mentioned Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing course, “How To Receive Hundreds of Thousands Of Visitors From Pinterest a Month.” Even though I don’t even have a Pinterest profile at that the time, I implement the steps and grow pageviews to 20,920 for the month.
- June 2017 – I invest in Elite Blog Academy. Up until now, my strategy had been to take which content works well on Pinterest and write my own unique spin. I lack a foundation (like an email list). Elite Blog Academy begins to give me that foundation, which I’m still building on.
- October of 2017 – With net income around $2,300 the previous month, I attend FinCon.. One of the presentations given by Monica Louie shares how bloggers are driving traffic using Facebook marketing — I buy her course.
- November of 2017 – I launch my first Facebook ad campaign. In total I spend $3,436.32 for the month. While hard to measure, it’s money well-spent as traffic and income spikes.
- January of 2018 – With interest of personal finance at its peak, I have multiple Pins go viral as well as Facebook campaigns running profitably. The site breaks $10,000 in income for the first time.
And that’s where we’re at today.
Here’s a more in-depth look at how the blog earns money.
Related Reading on The Ways To Wealth
- How To Become A Full Time Blogger In Less Than A Year
- 9 Benefits of Blogging: Why Start A Blog That Matters
- 16 Hottest Small Scale Business Ideas of 2018
Breakdown of Revenue
- Advertising = $6,282.35
- ImpactRadius (Blooom, Swagbucks, MyPoints) = $3,514.00
- FlexOffers (Credit Sesame, Personal Capital, Trim Financial Manager) = $2,035.39
- SurveyJunkie = $1,300.55
- Course Partnerships = $1,216.95
- iGain, MaxBounty, and Panthera Advertising Networks = $579.05
- iBotta = $386.00
- AdBloom = $323.00
- eBates = $300
- BlueHost = $280.00
- Commission Junction = $145
- Amazon = $45.38
For the month of January, The Ways To Wealth hit $16,491.27 in revenue. As you can see, my main income source is a mix between advertising and affiliates.
Interested in starting a blog? You’ll be happy to know you can get your blog up and running in as little as 10-15 minutes, even if you have no technical experience. Just as important, it’s super cheap. As a reader of The Ways To Wealth, you can setup your blog with Bluehost under $3.00 a month, instead of the regular price of $7.99. You also get a FREE domain name, a $15 value. Plus, there’s a 30-day money back guarantee, if you decide blogging isn’t right for you.
Breakdown of Expenses
- Facebook Advertising – $5,015.84
- NET INCOME = $11,475.43
There was one category of expense for the month — Facebook advertising. And WOW did I spend a lot of money on Facebook advertising.
But it’s working.
The strategy I use is to drive traffic to free content on the blog. I’ll then earn income from advertising or affiliate offers on the page. This podcast with Deacon Hayes of Well Kept Wallet does a great job of explaining the strategy.
In a nutshell…
You can get pretty close to measuring how much each page view is worth. For example, the site had 380,920 page views in January. Revenue was then $16,491.27. Therefore, each page view was worth 4.3 cents.
You can also use sub affiliate codes to track the revenue per visitor for certain pages. For example, specific pages may have a value of .10 per visitor. The goal is to find these pages with a high revenue per visitor and drive traffic to them at a cost much less.
Blog / Personal News
I’m grateful to be writing this while in one of my favorite places on earth — Kauai. After a brief stop at the Disney Resort in Honolulu, my family and I are staying here for three weeks. I’m working 3 or so hours a day each morning, then hanging with my family the rest of the day. It’s quite the change from where I was 13 months ago when I thought about stopping this project.
As for blog news, I’m working to put in some more systems into the business then just doing what feels right. For the first time, I’m hiring out for some help as well. Specifically, web and graphic designers.
A useful thought exercise for me was to imagine my business as a product itself. A product where I’d have to package it for someone to buy. As nobody wants to buy a business that’s an unorganized, inefficient system — this exercise helped me see some major gaps into my current ways.
It will be interesting to see how February turns out. While it would be nice to grow, I can see it being difficult. The month is short, I made the decision to work less, and interest in personal finance is starting to decrease.
But never say never…
Related Reading on The Ways To Wealth
- 15 Legit Money Making Apps That Can Add Up To $500 A Month In Income
- 17 Surprisingly Easy Ways To Generate Passive
- 33 Legit Online Jobs Where You Can Earn Over $40,000 Working From Home