Latest posts by R.J. Weiss, CFP®
- 7 Habits of Debt Free Families: Live the Debt Free Lifestyle - February 21, 2018
- Pinterest Traffic Tips: How I Got Over 275,00 Page Views From Pinterest In One Month - February 20, 2018
- 17 Best Money Tips From Dave Ramsey of All Time - February 9, 2018
- Choose a domain name
- Get hosting
- Install wordpress
- Select a theme
Here’s What You’ll Learn
Since this is The Insanely Simple Guide To Launching Your Blog here’s what you’ll learn:
- The cheapest way to host a blog, plus get a free domain name (a $15 value)
- How to pick a perfect domain name, even if you’re not sure what your blog will be about
- A simple way to install WordPress
- Where to get professional, quality looking site design for little or no cost
Step # 1 & 2 – Get Hosting & A Free Domain Name
Just like your computer needs a hard drive to store memory, so does your website. A hosting account allows you to store files on the Internet.
A domain name is the web address of your blog. My domain name is www.thewaystowealth.com.
In Steps # 1 & 2, you’ll choose a host and pick a domain.
Picking A Host
There are hundreds of different hosting providers. Plus, a variety of different types of hosting plans.
This can seem a bit overwhelming.
My recommendation for beginner bloggers is to host their website with Bluehost. I recommend Bluehost because:
- I’ve been a happy customer of theirs for over 7 years
- I’ve always enjoyed their customer service, especially the live chat option
- They’re extremely cheap (under $4.00 a month)
- Out of any host, they make it as simple as possible to install a blog (it’s just one click)
- You get a free domain name
- They offer a 30-day money back guarantee, if you decide blogging is not for you
How To Get Started With Bluehost
Headover to Bluehost’s homepage and click “Get Started Now”
For now, you just want the basic plan:
How To Pick The Perfect Domain Name
Upon clicking the basic plan, you’ll go to a screen to pick your domain name,
With Bluehost, you get a free domain name if you buy 12 months of hosting.
A domain name tells your visitors what your site is all about.
When considering your domain name, an important question to ask is: What is the long-term vision for your site?
For myself, my long-term vision was to build a site around all things money. Including saving money, making money, investing, etc…Because of this broad niche, I picked a domain name with a broad meaning.
Now, compare this to a site that wants to be about only retirement investing. A domain name like The Ways To Wealth wouldn’t be a good choice, as it doesn’t tell a visitor what the site is about.
If you’re not 100% sure of your niche, my recommendation would be to take the topic you’re thinking about and choose a domain name around that broader niche. For example, say I was thinking of starting a blog about dairy free cooking. Instead of choosing a domain name like dairyfreereceipes.com, I’d pick a domain name like allergyfreecooking.com.
This way, you open yourself up to new niches in the future.
Here are four more tips to selecting a good domain name:
- Pick something that lets your visitors know exactly what the website is about
- Make sure it’s easy to spell
- Avoid numbers and hyphens
- Select a .com domain name
Your next step is to type in the domain name you have in mind to Bluehost to see if it’s available. If not, Bluehost will give you some recommendations:
In my example, allergyfreecooking.com wasn’t available, so I typed in the domain name: TheAllergyFriendlyDad.com which was available.
How To Choose a Hosting Package from Bluehost
After finding an available domain name, I’m taken to a screen that sets up my account.
After filling in the account information, I choose the package information. Here are the settings I recommend for a beginner.
Next is simply setting up my payment information, then clicking submit.
How To Setup Hosting
Once you’ve inputted your payment information, you’re ready to setup your blog with WordPress ((don’t worry, it’s easy!).
WordPress is the content management system of your blog. Wordpress powers about 24% of websites on the Internet. It’s incredibly easy to use.
To install WordPress, login to your Bluehost account. Upon logging in you’ll see a button to install WordPress.
Click on “Install WordPress”, which will take you to a screen where you select the domain you want to install WordPress on.
Upon choosing the domain, you’ll be taken to an advanced options page where you’ll setup your username and password. Create a username and password combination that is unique to you (tip: Don’t choose admin)
You’ll want to also select to “Automatically create a new database for this installation”
Next, click on Next and you’re done!
Congratulations, you have a WordPress Blog!
How To Select A Professional Looking Theme
The default WordPress design is a pretty basic design. Picking a new theme allows you to upgrade your design very easily.
There are three options you have.
- Choose a free theme from WordPress
- Choose a professionally designed theme template
- Hire a website designer
In my opinion, since you’re just starting out, hiring a website designer is overkill at this point.
As a beginner, I’d either start with a free theme or choose a professional template.
For choosing a theme template, I’ve always found StudioPress themes as a great resource. Their customer service is first-class. As I’m not very technical, they’ve saved me hours of frustration on multiple occasions.
I hope this tutorial on How To Setup A WordPress Blog With Bluehost has helped. I know it can seem technical but once you do it, you’ll be surprised how easy it is.
Free Email Course: How To Make Your First $1K Blogging
The blueprint I used to earn my first $1K blogging.
Opt-in below to have it sent straight to your inbox!
Related Reading on The Ways To Wealth
- 9 Benefits of Blogging: Why Start A Blog That Matters
- How To Become A Full Time Blogger In Less Than A Year