My name is R.J. Weiss.
I’m a Certified Financial Planner® sharing the best of what I know about building wealth and living the good life. My mission is to share with you proven ways to make money, save money, and invest wisely.
I’ve now been writing about personal finance for over 10+ years. In this time I’ve been featured in Bloomberg, MSN Money, and Investment News. A highlight of my journey as a financial writer was speaking to students of Northwestern University.
Before The Ways To Wealth, I wrote about personal finance on a blog I founded in 2009–which then had a change of ownership. Teaching others how to manage money is a source of fulfillment in my life–whether that’s through this blog or in my career as a Certified Financial Planner®.
A little about myself…
…I’m a 30-something, husband and father of two daughters.
I’m not retired. I’m not a millionaire. I even have a mortgage.
I’d like to think I’ve done a few things right.
- I’m on track to become financially independent at 40
- I have a good relationship with money
- I’m a pretty happy guy
I wasn’t born with the frugality and happiness gene. It’s just something I’ve prioritized learning and thinking a lot about. I’m here to share with you the best of what I know and learn.
So, where should you start?
I’ve sorted each post into some basic categories. Go ahead and click a link below, then find a post or two that interests you.
- Debt Payoff – Posts about managing and eliminating debt
- Investing – Learn how to grow your money through investing
- Make Money – Learn ways to increase your income
- Money Management – Posts about ways to manage your cash flow
- Saving Money – Learn ways to cut expenses
The Best Of The Ways To Wealth
If you want the best of the best, e..g. the 80/20 of The Ways To Wealth, here’s a few popular posts you may like:
- 15 Personal Finance Actions Worth Over $100 An Hour (You’ll Wish You Knew Sooner)
- 100+ Genius Ways To Save Money
- 100+ Ways You Can Make Money
- 27 Side Income Ideas With Potential To Generate $10K A Month
Another way to get started, which is something we all struggle with, is setting financial goals.
I created an entire workbook on the subject, which you can download below:
6 Guiding Principles of The Ways to Wealth
In a world full of noise, The Ways to Wealth is a place that likes to keep things simple. A place to learn about time-tested ideas that lead to a better quality of life and a better relationship with money.
Ralph Waldo Emerson famously said;
The man who grasps principles can successfully handle his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.
With principles in place, making good decisions is easy.
I’ve arrived at 4 key principles that guide my finances, in addition to, guiding the content on this blog.
- The purpose of personal finance is to optimize for happiness, not money (h/t Mr. Money Mustache).
- Money expands who we already are. Money never makes us happy, it can however, make us happier.
- Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants. (h/t Epictetus)
- Only focus on what you can control.
If that sounds a bit too much philosophical, I get it.
But that’s what I’m here to fix.
The blog is where I’ll dive deep into the tips, tactics, and strategies to allow you to build wealth and live the good life.
You’re in the right place.