Did you know that TopCashback has a unique business structure that allows it to pay some of the highest cash-back rates online?
In this TopCashabck Review, you’ll learn about their unusual business model, how it’s different from other sites, and tips to maximize your cash-back.
Let’s get started!
What is TopCashback?
TopCashback is a cash-back shopping portal. Using a site like this is one of those clever tricks to never pay full price. The site has partnered with more than 4,000 brands, including Home Depot, Amazon, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Timberland. (Amazon works with tons of cash-back sites, so one of the best Amazon hacks/tips is to always use the portal with the best offer at the moment.)
We’ve covered cash-back apps before, including Ibotta (which I reviewed in detail here, as well as others like it). I love these apps, and regularly using them should be part of your arsenal of smart money moves.
In addition to its retail partners, TopCashback also has travel partners including Travelocity, Hertz, Holiday Inn and others. Travel is expensive, and failing to utilize cash-back when booking flights, hotels and rental cars is like throwing money out the window.
Plus, if you make your purchase through TopCashback on a cash-back credit card, my favorite being the Chase Freedom Unlimited, you can increase your earnings.
TopCashback was founded in the United Kingdom in 2005, and the service became available in the U.S. in 2011. The site is free to join, and consistently offers some of the highest rates among cash-back websites. Those consistently-good cash-back percentages are the result of a unique business model.
The standard business model for cash-back sites is this: whenever you buy something via their portal or link, they get a commission. Then, they share that commission with you.
In contrast, TopCashback makes its money through advertisements, sponsored links, and bonuses (for pushing heavy traffic to their partners’ sites). They still earn a commission for every purchase, but they pass 100% of that commission back to you.
How to Use TopCashback
- Create an account.
- Browse retail partners. You can search by category (travel, electronics, fashion, etc.) or by store name. You’ll see the percentage of cash-back each retailer is offering.
- Click on “Get Cash-Back Now” and you’ll be redirected to the retailer’s site.
- Shop the retailer’s site as you normally would.
- TopCashback calculates the amount of cash-back you’re due. That amount will be deposited into your TCB account within seven days.
- Collect your earnings. You can cash-out your earnings several ways. Options include Visa prepaid debit cards; Amazon, Target and Walmart gift cards; direct deposit into your bank account; or PayPal cash.
You can find cash-back offers for as much as 40%, with most hovering between 6% and 10%.
You can also earn additional money using the membership referral code you’ll receive when you create your TopCashback account; when a new member signs up using your code (and earns at least $10 cash-back for their purchases), you’ll receive a $10 cash referral bonus.
When Do You Get Your Cash-Back?
I have two pet peeves when it comes to money making websites: sites that reward users with points, but which require NASA-level math to calculate how much cash-back you’re actually earning; and sites that have absurdly high minimum payout thresholds. What good is earning cash-back if it’s locked up in your account for ages?
TopCashback is a winner on both of those fronts. First, the site is completely transparent and allows you to see how much cash-back you’ll earn on every purchase in clear terms. Second, there is no minimum threshold for cashing out your earnings: you can withdraw your funds whether your account has $1 or $1,000.
There is a waiting period that is set by the partnered retailers. TopCashback has to wait until a retailer’s return period has ended before they confirm your cash-back.
You can understand why: if this policy wasn’t in place, people could buy thousands of dollars of merchandise, withdraw the cash-back from their TopCashback account, and then return everything they bought. The return period varies by retailer, but the average length is 15 to 45 days.
Once the cash hits your account, you can withdraw it by going to the “Payouts” page, selecting your preferred payout method, and following the on-screen instructions.
The Best TopCashback Hacks
The cash-back offers on TopCashback are pretty generous, but there are a few insider online shopping hacks to help you earn even more.
- You can earn up to an additional 10% when you choose select payout methods. These are specials that run for a few weeks at a time, and the payout methods that are eligible change. Recent bonus offers included an extra 5% back for Gap gift cards, and extra 3% for Hotels.com gift cards, and an extra 5% for Nike gift cards.
- If you’ve already visited a retailer’s website, either clear your cookies or use a different browser before clicking from TopCashback to the retailer. This will help ensure that TCB’s “cookie” properly tracks the transaction.
- When you click on a retailer, TopCashback will often show you a coupon code you can use for additional savings. A recent example was a 9% cash-back offer at Converse. When I clicked on it, I got a coupon code for an additional 30% off on select clearance items. Checking this first can help you save money, on top of your rebate.
- Always browse the Top Tips section of the sidebar. You’ll see really good offers there. Some recent ones included 20% off hotel stays through Booking.com and a $30 off coupon code for spending $150 at Nike.
- Check out the Taxes & Financial section, which you can find under “More Shopping.” You can find some good savings on personal finance products here. Recent deals included up to 15% cash-back at TurboTax and 10% at Quickbooks Checks and Supplies.
TopCashBack Review Summary
Personally, I aim to earn the welcome bonus on each of the major sites, then use whatever one offers the highest rate on a particular purchase. One way to make sure you’re always getting the best rate is by leveraging Cashback Monitor, a free site that keeps track on the best cash-back offers on all the major shopping portals.
When choosing which sites to sign up for, TopCashBack.com should be at the top of your list. The bottom line is that it’s an easy and legit way to save extra money when shopping with online retailers.
Use it in conjunction with a cash-back credit card, and you can multiply those savings.