“Read as much as you can about the markets, economy, and financial history.Never stop reading.” – Seth Klarman
Seth Klarman is one of the most successful investors of our day. Founder of Baupost Group, his hedge fund manages over $27 billion
A used copy of his out of print book Margin of Safety sells for about $1,000. He also updated, along with many other fames investors, the Benjamin Graham’s Security Analysis. A used copy sells for a more affordable $44.
Over the years he’s presented at a few conferences. One such conference was the 2010 CFA Institute Annual Conference. It was this conference where he revealed the top Seth Klarman book recommendations when asked by columnist Jason Zweig.
A transcript of the Q&A is below, with the entire transcript on Scribd.
Jason Zweig: Any books recommendations (besides Margin of Safety and Security Analysis, of course)?
Seth Klarman: Read as much as you can about the markets, economy, and financial history. Never stop reading. Specific book recommendations include The Intelligent Investor, Greenblatt’s You Can Be A Stock Market Genius, Whitman’s Aggressive Conservative Investor, anything from Jim Grant…he’s a great thinker, even if his predictions may not turn our right, Roger Lowenstein has not written a bad book, anything from him. Also, Michael Lewis, who also hasn’t written a bad book either, but specifically MoneyBall which will go down as a definitive book on investing. Also, Too Big to Fail is good.
Interested in a free app that allows you to track your entire portfolio? I highly recommend Personal Capital (available for both iPhone and Android). With Personal Capital you can compare your portfolio to market benchmarks and instantly see your asset allocation across all your investment accounts. Sign up for free.
Seth Klarman Book Recommendations
Here’s a list of the books of the specific books he recommends.
- The Intelligent Investor
- You Can Be A Stock Market Genius
- Aggressive Conservative Investor
- Too Big to Fail
Seth Klarman Author Recommendations
Seth Klarman recommends three authors; Jim Grant, Roger Lowenstein, and Michael Lewis.
I’ve then added popular investment books by those authors, some of which were published after 2010.
Seth Klarman Book Recommendations | Jim Grant Books
- The Forgotten Depression: 1921: The Crash That Cured Itself
- Mr. Market Miscalculates: The Bubble Years and Beyond
- Money of the Mind: How the 1980s Got That Way
Seth Klarman Book Recommendations | Roger Lowenstein Books
- Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist
- America’s Bank: The Epic Struggle to Create the Federal Reserve
- When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
- While America Aged: How Pension Debts Ruined General Motors, Stopped the NYC Subways, Bankrupted San Diego, and Loom as the Next Financial Crisis
- Origins of the Crash: The Great Bubble and Its Undoing
- The End of Wall Street
Seth Klarman Book Recommendations | Michael Lewis Books
- The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
- Liar’s Poker
- Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game
- Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World
- The New New Thing: A Silicon Valley Story
- Panic: The Story of Modern Financial Insanity
- Next: The Future Just Happened